What We Do
PFLAG Fort Collins/Northern Colorado offers support for LGBTQ persons, their families, friends, and allies. Support is offered in a variety of ways such as support circles, support phone line, Facebook messaging, and email. Support is also offered through education and advocacy opportunities.
Education is offered in two primary ways:
- Through the monthly programs at PFLAG chapter meetings
- Through the monthly newsletter
Additionally, our PFLAG chapter offers a Speaker’s Bureau and collaborates with other LGBTQ community organizations on educational opportunities.
PFLAG also works to move equality forward through advocacy. Some examples of advocacy opportunities are:
- Action Alerts from PFLAG National about important advocacy opportunities
- Information in the monthly newsletter
- Candidate forums, especially during election years
- Community visibility through parades and tables at community events
PFLAG National provides important guidelines on being an advocate through Advocacy 101.
PFLAG National also provides information on being an ally through Straight for Equality. Coming out as an ally is a process, and over time you may be comfortable doing more. But tiny everyday changes and conversations that can raise awareness and challenge assumptions and stereotypes about LGBTQ people are critically important. You don’t have to know everything about statistics, national legislation, or state-wide ballot initiatives to stand up for equality and fairness. We just ask that you be willing to learn more and speak up when you have the chance.